Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Cowboys in Texas Drive Audis

So the conversation with my preceptor goes a little like this:

Preceptor: Do they say howdy in the U.S.?
Me: No, not really, why?
Preceptor: Really? I thought it would be popular there
Me: No, they usually don't say howdy, maybe if you are a cowboy, or if you live in Texas you would.
Preceptor: Oh that's interesting, what about Cadillacs? Do people drive Cadillacs in the states?
Me:......... >_<  thinking to myself-...... oh he was talking about cars this whole time, he was asking DO THEY DRIVE AUDIS IN THE STATES....the German car..... at this point it was too late to correct myself out of sheer embarrassment, so I just let him think that cowboys in Texas drive Audis. my final reply:
Yes, yes they do drive Cadillacs in the U.S.

This is an excellent example of how difficult it is to communicate at times, even though I am speaking the same language as everyone else here.  It also emphasizes the importance of verifying your understanding of what people are asking, and how your response is interpreted.


More to come soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment