Thursday, June 30, 2011

Slow internet

The internet where I am staying is extremely slow and spotty, so I can't update as often as I'd like. But I found the trick is to use the internet in the morning, when usage is low for better quality.

My site is located on Orchard Road, which is like the equivalent of 5th avenue in New York.  It is a strip of high end malls.  I have actually never seen so many malls before in my life!  The plus for me is that I get to stop by for the food courts during lunch which have so many options, low end things like meat on a stick and bakery items running from about $1-2 singapore dollars each, to mid range and higher end gourmet meals from all around the world.




My pharmacy is located within a private hospital, Mount Elizabeth



The Guardian pharmacy that I am at sells mane beauty and medical supplies.  They do about 70-100 prescriptions per day, which is considered very high volume for Singapore pharmacies.  I work with 2 pharmacists and 5 other students, some of them are from different countries like Malaysia and New Zealand so I get to learn a bit about pharmacy practice in those countries as well.

My preceptor loves to quiz his students, yesterday's topic was the different types of rhinitis.  I am impressed my his memory of medicinal chemistry and detailed immunology, even 8 years after he has graduated.

So quiz time for all of you pharmacy geeks, we went over the different pathophysiologies of the different types of rhitnitis, allergic, bacterial, viral, and blunt trauma induced.  Allergic Rhinitis is the only pathway that involved histamine release, but why do doctors sometimes prescribe diphenydramine for viral or bacterial rhitintis?..........................


Answer: because the anti-cholinergic effects of antihistamines can help reduce secretions! such common sense, but sometimes we forget to think about these things.

Also if anyone can tell me the purpose of diphenhydramine in Rocky Mountain Mouthwash to treat thrush, it would be much appreciated.

More to come soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment